Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Chichen itza

Easy drive to Chichen Itza today. This group is really coming together the road, we are acting like a well oiled machine. We are dry camping outside the Pyrimde  hotel in Piste about 1/2 km from the ruins. We will do a tour tomorrow at 8 AM and get out of there before the hordes from the all inclusives arrive from Cancun. One advantage of a caravan. I will not bother going in, been in there so many times, so I will leave them in the capable hands of the tour guide. We got here just after 10 AM today, so I drove out to the nearby ruins of  Yaxhuna. More my style than tourist traps like Chichen Itza. Chichen is a significant site, but not enjoyable with 5000 other tourists in there, which is why we get in by opening and exit as the buses arrive. Much better. Took Bernie and one customer with me to Yaxhuna. . This site is more in its original state, a couple of large pyramids including one containing a tomb. Oddly enough there was a film crew in there and Mayan dancers performing a ceremony. very religious. We got the feeling we should not take photos, so I did not, but still a unique experience. A bit of a primitive road to access, but my truck made it. The thing about the Yucatan is that it is so flat, any hill you see likely is covering a pyramid. There are literally hundreds. The Mayan civilization was one of the greatest ever seen on this planet, far more extensive than Egypt and many other western civilizations. We also visited a nearby Cenote. 50 ft climb down into it, but it was good. I probably should not be doing that at my age, but what the heck. We are going to one tomorrow that I suspect is one I visited in the 70's that was non commercialized and pristine, but it sounds like that is no longer the case. Nearly all Cenotes in the Yucatan that have easy access are now fenced, with some turned into amusement parks. I get sad when I see what is happening to places i saw in their pristine state 40 years ago, but that is happening all over the planet so its the way things are. I am thrilled  when i find those hidden unspoiled spots. Trying to introduce more of this sort of thing into our caravans. Problem is a lot of these spots are not RV friendly so it depends on how many pickups we have at our disposal.






5 comments:

  1. Paul, enjoying your daily blogs very much. Just wanted you to know it is being read by at least 1 person. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so busy, as this caravan is fast paced that I have problems keeping up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul, we are admiring you for all what you do and yes, we read your Blog despite the lot of things we have to prepare for the Spring 2018 Caravan. We are leaving Surrey, BC mid December 2017.
    Have a good trip and greetings to all of your company,
    Angi and Bernd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks angi, I hope I am not being too negative. Candy coating stuff is not my style, which is why I was so candid about that cenote we visted. Always trying to find better alternatives. Yesterday we found one during our transit to Paamul. Looking at maybe an overnight dry camp there and dropping a night at Paamul or possibly a sceduled 2 hour stop there as that day is only a 3 hour drive. Here is the link: https://en-yucatan.com.mx/valladolid/cenote-dzinup.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW angi, as I think you know I will be home on Dec 10th. I will print out all the trip road logs hopefully on the 11th or 13th so I can get them over to you to take to kevin.

    ReplyDelete