Thursday, November 9, 2017

Chichen Itza to Paamul

We are off to Paamul for 3 days this morning. Everyone seems anxious to get in some beach time and the weather is now good after the rains that dogged some of our first couple of weeks. We all liked the camping spot in front of the hotel Pyramyde, despite it being dry camping.  The road noise is a bit high during the day, but we are off touring anyway, and it quietens down at night.  We did manage to get some power for a couple of rigs who really needed it. I am advising everyone on future caravans on this route to bring a 50 ft extension and power bar so we can at least get peoples batteries charged when we are dry camping in a spot wth one or 2 power outlets available. We make no secret of the fact this route involves more dry camping. Its the price you pay for being able to visit some of the more out of the way sights in this country. I have taught people the trick of dribbling out grey water en route, something you cannot do in Canada & the US, but it's only shower & dish water. If we have a few days between being able to dump black we encourage people to only use the bathrooms in their rig at night to stretch it out. I think 5 nights is the longest stretch between a sani dump. Generators can sometimess be an issue, but I try to park everyone so their generator does not bother anyone else, whenever possible, and we can sometimes share power with people who do not have one. We all get accustomed to roughing it a bit more after a few weeks. Beats being in a tent. This group is co-operating well after the usual rough start, as people get used to new camping habits, ways of driving, etc. It's much like RVing was in the US & Canada in the 50's. Many are finding the bad power an issue. as their protectors block it, but I have taken people to Home Depot where they can buy a regulator for about $80 US that solves that problem. You can't find them in the US. Fortunately our first 2 stops (Saltillo & Zacetecas both have Home Depots)

 The pool here is great, and the owner, Carol, is very pleasant and helpful. Its too bad most visitrs to Chichen Itza bus in from all-inclusives in Cancun, rather than stay here in a typical Mexican town, with a hotel as nice as this one, available. Its big advantage is giving you a jump on the crowds at the site and access after dark if you want see the light show. We all got some laundry done, managed to get one medical issue tended to, and optimism on this caravan right now is high. I think we are all anxious to get into the Carribean. I have changed the route somewhat, I had planned to go via Coba, but I think people are ruined out, so we will skip it. It was only an option anyway. That makes the trip 60 km shorter, faster roads, but increases tolls, so it is probably break even in cost, but it gives us an hour or 2 of extra surf time this afternoon. It will also allow Bernie and I to find a nearby Cenote to take the customers to on an ad hoc tour, if they wish on one of the free days.  There are plenty around there. Paamul is probably the most expensive RV park in Mexico. It's a matter of the market, as its pretty well the only choice between Cancun & Chetumal, but the beach there is great.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time. What is the issue with the power being blocked by protectors and what kind of regulator have you found to correct it? I'm on the Spring trip and am about to get a surge protector installed. Do I need something different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi jim, we advise getting protectors. Not surge protectors, but one that wll not allow too high or too low voltage through. A lot of folks have troubelle understanding the difference. In Mexico too high or too low voltage is the danger. The $100 regulator you can get at home depot here, does effectively the same thing, but it is not powerful enough to allow you to run things like air conditioners. The protector will, AS LONG AS THE VOLTAGE IS IN RANGE. A protector will cost at least $250 US, if its less chances are it is just a surge protector which is not good enough. Low voltage is more harmful to electronics than high voltage. Where the regulator comes in useful is in places where the voltage is out of range, it will at last allow you power to run maybe a microwave, lights and charge your battery even if it cannot handle an A/C. I use both devices. Here in Paamul for example the voltage is good, no problems, & I can also run A/C, as its 30 amp. However, if the voltage does drop, or go up to a dangerous range, my protector will not allow it through. I hope that is clear. They are even useful in the US & Canada, cheaper than a new fridge board.

    ReplyDelete