We are now in Melaque. I have not updated this in a couple of days, I am bummed out about my dog, Tomas, but more about that in the last paragraph. We spent an extra day in Zihuantenejo since Doug came down the Moctezumas revenge. We were planning on taking the coast road north, but there have been some incidents on that very lonely stretch of road and we felt it was not worth the risk, so we drove north up to Mazamitla via Uruapan and spent the night in the former Hacienda Contreras RV park and then drove to Melaque today. A long way around and a new highway for me. The scenery was actually quite spectacular.
Tomas is still not doing well. He hasn't eaten in 3 days and won't settle down at night. He was acting very strange last night, wandering around the RV park, lying down in locations and refusing to come back. Today he seemed to perk up a bit and took a few scraps. There is a very good vet here in Melaque, but he appeared to be closed today so we will take him in tommorrow. If he advises putting him down, we will do that, but I would really prefer to get him home if we can. If it comes to him going, I will bury him under a palm tree in this RV park where we tend to stay every year. This is the toughest time ever. This dog is more special than any other I have had. I will never have another dog, I do not think I could ever find one quite like Tomas. He is at least 15, that makes him the oldest dog I have ever had. I guess the only consolation is that he has had a wonderful life, especially considering he started out as Mexican street dog. I am still hopeful the vet can do something so I can at least bring him home.
Hope vet visit works out. You've got a lot on your mind. Tomas, Mexico, the safety and security of the group, its a lot the think about.
ReplyDeleteTravel safe!
Tomas is in pain, that's way he's restless.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about Tomas. As you know we went through the same thing with Whiskey. He was lucky to find you and you him. You will have lots of happy memories to look back on.
ReplyDeleteUpdate, I did get another Mexican stray dog in March 2020.
ReplyDelete