Today we took a tour of this beautiful city. It was actually constructed on the site of the Mayan city of Ichkanzihóo, which the Spanish dismantled to use the blocks from pyramids and temples to construct cathedrals and other buildings on the same site (Including the one below). Sort of a 16th century version of ISIS. You can actually make out Mayan glyphs on some of the walls still.
Brutally hot today, about 38 C, so we consumed large amounts of ice cream (including DQ). Lots of foreign tourists around, mainly Europeans. I ran into one man sleeping in a park with his wife. he told me he was from Guatemala and in Mexico illegally, trying to get to the US. He is riding the rails on the train known as "the beast" north. And extremely dangerous journey. I saw a show on W5 a year or 2 back about that, and it is horrendous. They were obviously hungry. He never asked for money, but I gave him him enough for him & his wife to get a couple of good meals. Sad.
No comments:
Post a Comment