Sunday, November 13, 2016

First day in Mexico




We camped overnight in the Home Depot in Nogales and got up at 7:30 Am to cross the border. There have been some changes on the US side, making it impossible to get  a big rig across unless you use the far left hand side lane which we happened to be in fortunately. We were subjected to a quick inspection 10 km south of the border and on our way to get our permits & tourist cards at km 21. I expected some hassles over the weight of my truck, since I  have been hearing stories of them misinterpreting cargo capacity as GVW and causing headaches for anyone with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. I had no problem with that, but my ATV was. I have taken it into Mexico several times before with no problem, This time they did not like the fact that it has a "none expiring" plate. I was sent over to customs and had to wait until 9 AM until they opened and was eventually given a sheet of paper allowing me to bring it in. I was smart enough to take it over and copy it before handing it over so I have it for future.

They are doing a lot of work on the highway, tearing up huge stretches and converting it to concrete. We hit a large unmarked Tope a few minutes south of km 21 too fast, and bent my extra spare tire carrier on my trailer. I am going to have to carry it in the bed of the truck instead.  Its hard to get back into the mode of watching for them. The section through Hermosillo is awful and for about 50 km south, after that it was a lot of 2 lane as they were tearing up the one half. We did make it to Totonaka RV park in San Carlos by about 3 PM. All in all, a tiring day. We will take a couple of days here to relax. It's 34 C.

15 comments:

  1. Watch out for those topes!! Have a safe trip, guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an early that was unwanted but you always come up with a solution.. 7C and rain earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love those topes! I once asked my Mexican office colleagues is a map existed for all the topes. This made them laugh like nothing before! Now I know, there are marked topes, unpainted topes, topes that have signs but no bump, and even negative topes. There are homemade topes too! I never thought I would want a tope on my street, but topes are the only thing that keep people from going as fast as they possible can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the unmarked one under the hadow of a tree that nails you.

      Delete
    2. For some reason I don't seem to overlook the topes. But I sure seem to not see the STOP signs. Some are so rusted or hidden behind poles blocking their view. Driving in Mexico can cause sensory overload.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for all you do Paul!

    I plan to stay at Totonaka RV park in San Carlos, over Xmas and New Years. Is there plenty to do in the area to keep me entertained for 13 days? I have to return to the working world on 01.09.2017.

    If I travel west of MEX15 and don't go further south than Guaymas, I hope I won't have any GVWR issues as I'm at 14,050lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure it really matters as I'll be topping off on ULSD fuel before I cross the border and will probably have to top off on one tank of non-ULSD on the return trip. Is there by chance any ULSD there in San Carlos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have heard 40% of diesel currently being sold is US diesel. I would not be surprised if any Pemex in San Carlos is pumping ULSD, but there is no way tell.

      Delete
  6. Great info! Have been wanting to travel in Mexico but husband and brother's safety concerns have prevented trips that direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take little steps at a time, pick an RV park, maybe one in or around San Carlos, source vehicle insurance for the stay period and just do it. On my first trip I drove directly to my destination for the stay, then ventured out from there. It may just be me, but I prefer to have a few pesos in my wallet before I cross the border. My first trip was a 250 mile loop to Carborca and back staying at a cattle ranch, hiking around looking at Indian pictographs.

      Delete
  7. The dangers are highly overblown, IMO. I have been doing this for 10 years. Maybe use a caravan for the first time to get over the fear factor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We will be leaving Tuscon Dec 1 heading to San Carlsos is this km21 the only place for us to get our vechile permits and Fmm tourist visas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can supposedly get them just south of Empalme, but I have never done it there. It looked pretty quiet when I drove past it. If you are goign no further south than San Carlos you do not need a permit, but you still need to stop there for a tourist card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paul, what the max size RV you recommedpnd for your caravan? Pulling a small toad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. On our current route we can take up to about a 40 ft class A, although we have done it with larger. Yucatan I am not quite sure about. I suspect thsoe 3 axle toy haulers would eb too large. Generally speaking smaller is better, bur height is the main issue, soem peoepel are loaded up with accessories that can cause a problem on a rig that is already a high one. When I am wagon master I always put the highest rig behind me and I use an orange bicycle flag fastenedd to my rear ladder set at their height so they can see if they are going to clear a low bridge or arch or overhanging tree/ wires. If they do, everyone else does.

    ReplyDelete