Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Saltillo

A long drive yesterday. Normally it would take 2.5 hours, it took us 5. The highway was just packed with US plated cars heading north after the holidays. It took over 1/2 an hour to get through one toll booth. We noticed how close they were all traveling and how fast they were going. Some of them 110 or 120 KmH on highway posted as 90.  We came across a multicar accident. There did not appear to be injuries, and there was no shoulder to pull over onto anyway and we got around the mess. 100 meters or so feet further down the road, a bus had been sideswiped by a Semi and was blocking the curb lane. No fatalities, judging by the damage. I think this is what caused the pileup as people could not stop in time . A Federale was there attending the bus and seemed unaware of the pileup further back, so I stopped and told him, and he thanked me. I was concerned there would be another behind that as well, with the way traffic was speeding. They really needed to put some flares out. I have some, somewhere, I really need to move them into the truck. Our next problem could be trucker blockades. They are happening all over Mexico, protesting the 20% fuel price increase.

We are camped in a small RV park behind the Best Western. It will be a bit of tight squeeze for a caravan, but we can do it. We had KFC for dinner last night, a real cultural experience. Saltillo is a very modern, clean town. Quite a few big box stores here, I saw 2 Home Depots on our way in. We have a freed day today before I have to go up to Laredo & pick up our group.  I will leave Terry, the trailer & dog here. Time to go shopping and do a couple of minor repairs

No comments:

Post a Comment